Thursday 4 December 2014

Choosing A UK Counselling Services

I am often asked, when clients attend for the first time, about the ways UK counselling and counsellors work.  They have seen depictions on tv, mainly of American counsellors and may think that we work like that, a variation on the psychiatric doctor-and-patient relationship. 
I am quick to reassure them that we don’t work like that at all, that the counsellor and client in the UK counselling relationship is one of two equal partners, striving to improve the wellbeing (or perhaps tackle a specific problem) brought by one of them.
Some clients are anxious lest there be long periods of silence in the session, maybe a previous counsellor has held the silence and not spoken.  But I reassure my clients, if they mention this concern about quiet moments, that I am considering one of two things at such a time.  Is the client looking at me and wanting me to say something (which, of course, I would) or is he or she deep in reflective thought, mulling things over, giving me little or no eye contact, in which case, I would be interrupting. 
The general tenor is conversational, it is a dialogue between the two people present, not some kind of tense stand-off.  My role is to help my client feel comfortable as soon as possible, relaxed enough to feel able to talk about the issue(s) that brought them along and, really important too, fully heard.

Once that early rapport is established, the real work begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment